The turnover generated by online electronic commerce in Spain (e-commerce) has increased in the third quarter of 2022 by 28.8% year-on-year to reach 18,9 billion euro, according to the latest data published this week on the CNMCData portal.
The sectors of activity with the highest income have been travel agencies and tour operators, with 10.5% of total billing; hotels, with 6.1% and air transport, in third place, with 5.7%.
Clothing accounted for 5.4% of activity, auxiliary services to financial intermediation 4%, games and betting 3.9%, artistic, sports and recreational shows 3.7%, public administration, taxes and social security 3.2%, automotive fuels 3.1%, and land transport of passengers 2.8%.
If we look at the number of transactions, in the third quarter of 2022 more than 333 million transactions were registered, 17.1% more. Games of chance and betting lead the ranking for sales (7.6%), followed by restaurant (6.4%).
Regarding geographic segmentation, 46.8% of revenues in the third quarter of 2022 have been destined for Spain. The remaining 53.2% corresponds to purchases originating in Spain made abroad.
The net external balance (the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and what is bought from Spain abroad) shows a deficit of 7,4 billion euro.
By number of transactions, 38.2% of sales are destined for Spain and 61.8% abroad.
The turnover of transactions originating in Spain and directed abroad was 10 billion euro, 23.6% more than in the third quarter of the previous year. 92.6% of purchases from Spain abroad are made in shops located in the European Union.
The branches of activity with the highest volume of business from Spain abroad are clothing (8.0%), auxiliary services to financial intermediation (7.1%) and hotels (6.8%).
For their part, sales from abroad with Spain amounted to a turnover of 2,6 billion euro, 61.0% more than in the third quarter of the previous year. 60.3% of purchases from abroad come from the European Union.
Likewise, the areas of activity related to the tourism sector (which brings together travel agencies, air transport, land transport, car rental and hotels) account for 63.4% of purchases from abroad with Spain.
E-commerce revenues within Spain have risen by 26.6% year-on-year to 6,2 billion euro. Billing in Spain is led by fuels (9.2%), public administration, taxes and social security (8.6%) and travel agencies and tour operators (8.0%).