The UK Home Office has said that all citizens from European Union countries and their family members who applied late to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) will have their rights protected temporarily, stressing that the Office continues to support persons who want to continue to stay in Britain.
The deadline to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme was June 30, while the Home Office previously stressed that as many as six million applications were filed for such a scheme, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.
Even though the number of applications from those who applied late is smaller than the number of pre-deadline applications, the UK’s government has pledged that the rights of applicants would be protected until their application and any appeal is decided.
In addition, the same protection will be granted to the joining family members, who will have temporary protection for three months after reaching the UK and pending the outcome of an EU Settlement Scheme application made during that period (and of any appeal).
The Minister for Future Borders and Immigration, Kevin Foster, said that “thousands of people are being given status through the hugely successful EU Settlement Scheme. We’ve worked hard to ensure the vast majority of people applied before the June 30 deadline and are now supporting those making late applications.”
Authorities in The United Kingdom have informed the European Commission and are working to implement such an approach in order to make this process clearer to EU citizens.
Image: Kevin Foster Minister for Future Borders and Immigration