Hong Kong could be shut down if Coronavirus Infections are Uncontrolled

Hong Kong could be shut down if Coronavirus Infections are Uncontrolled

Hong Kong medical experts said the city will be forced to apply confinement measures if the number of infections in this third wave of the coronavirus continues to expand, local press reported today.

Public television RTHK echoes the words of Hong Kong University microbiologist Yuen Kwok-yung, who warned of this possibility should the number of cases continue to rise in the city over the next seven to fourteen days: “We will need confine, not the whole city, but almost.”

On Sunday the territory’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam has said that Hong Kong has recorded its highest one-day increase in cases since the pandemic began.

Ms Lam said there had been more than 100 new infections, and announced new restrictions to contain the spread.

She described the situation as “really critical” and said there was “no sign” it was coming under control.

The chief executive promised that authorities would carry out 10,000 tests a day, and also made wearing face masks compulsory in indoor public spaces. Face coverings were already mandatory on public transport.